Kacey Musgraves - 'Same Trailer, Different Park'
After not initially liking her first single Merry Go 'Round it has taken me a while to listen to the whole album but I was eventually persuaded to and I'm glad I did. Kacey's music strays less towards the country-pop of some of her contemporaries and travels through rockabilly and country folk primarily. I did feel some of the tracks on the album are only average - I particularly disliked Merry Go 'Round and Stupid. Merry Go 'Round I found to be a bit dull and in complete opposition to this I found Stupid to be a bit overproduced and heavy on the instrumentalisation, something that is certainly not needed.
Whilst there were some tracks I didn't like, I also found there to be some gems scattered throughout the album. Silver Lining is the first track on the album and in my opinion is one of the strongest. The instrumentalisation is perfect for the track and Kacey's vocals work really well. As with all the tracks on the album Silver Lining is co-written by Kacey and I feel this helps her pour emotion into the song. It is a very strong song to open an album on and to introduce prospective fans to her music.
Kacey's second single Blowin' Smoke shows a different side than Merry Go 'Round and something that is in my opinion a lot more interesting. The bluesy influences of the song work well against Kacey's vocals and once again the instrumentalisation is perfect. The message behind the song is a good one as well and I would definitely recommend listening to the lyrics closely.
1) Silver Lining - Kacey Musgraves, Shane McAnally, Josh Osbourne
2) My House - Musgraves, McAnally, Osbourne
3) Merry Go 'Round - Musgraves, McAnally, Osbourne
4) Dandelion - Musgraves, McAnally, Brandy Clark
5) Blowin' Smoke - Musgraves, McAnally, Luke Laird
6) I Miss You - Musgraves, Laird, Osbourne
7) Step Off - Musgraves, McAnally, Laird
8) Back On The Map - Musgraves, Laird
9) Keep It To Yourself - Musgraves, McAnally, Laird
10) Stupid - Musgraves, McAnally, Osbourne
11) Follow Your Arrow - Musgraves, McAnally, Clark
12) It Is What It Is - Musgraves, Clark, Laird
Whilst I would call Same Trailer Different Park a very strong album overall there are some tracks that don't particularly grab me. I would recommend listening before purchasing to anyone who is unsure - in my opinion the best tracks are Silver Lining, My House, Blowin' Smoke, I Miss You and Keep It To Yourself.